Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Few Workout Ideas =)

As I have discussed before Cross Fit training is newly popular form of high intensity strength training that combines elements of cardio and helps a body work towards lean muscle and fat loss. Any time you weight train it boost the metabolism and any time you do short high intensity burst of activity, it also does the same. So imagine all of this combined and you've got cross fit. I have been doing cross a few days a week at the local Fit For Life..(now cross fit Rushville) since this past summer and I love it. What I really find fun and out of the ordinary workout box is that the workouts are usually timed. Meaning Tyler will encourage and coach me along as I try to get whatever it is I'm doing done in the fastest time possible. I also like to use this method every once in awhile on my clients in Macomb as well. They too love throwing in cross based workouts because it mixes things up for them. The workout I did yesterday..well the cross part only took me 6 min and some seconds that I do not remember now haha. Yea 6 min..real hard psshh right?..It never fails to amaze me but my toosh is actually sore today and that doesn't usually happen even when I do a full weighted leg workout. So..when you do strengthening activities at that intensity you will feel it. Since Tyler was running me through a short timed leg workout I through in my own cardio at the beginning and end; which you can do too. Sometimes the cross workouts are up to an hour and include pretty intense cardio but sometimes he will give me a timed but killer dash like yesterday.
Here's how it went and you can alter anything you want to make it work for you!
----------------------------
*warmed up
*walked 5 min on the treadmill
*ran 10 min at a 6.5 pace
*did a mountain of prints(resting in between every sprint)...30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min,1min, 45 sec., 30 sec.
*ran at a good pace for 10 more min then walk for 5 (took about 40 min)..you can shorten this is needed; I was waiting on Tyler lol
------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cross Workout
*Weighted walking lunges..holding two dumbbells of a weight of your choice..make it heavy enough that you feel the resistance
*Jumping stationary squats...remember to keep the weight in the heels and when you go down, take the time to make sure you take your butt all the way slightly past the knees keeping weight sitting back in heels and not leaning forward. This is key. Then explode up using arms to drive you and jump as high as you can off the floor landing back in the same low squat position.
Here is the reps and how you will do them...
21..(21 lunges, straight into 21 jumping squats and this will be the pattern you follow)
18
15
12
9
6
3
*goal is to finish as soon as possible but you must do all reps and keep a fast pace to achieve good time..this is what makes it a good routine. However..just as important as keeping that high speed intensity is maintaining good form and take the squat all the way down!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
****really short on time before or after a cardio workout?
Time yourself for 4-5 min and see how many squats or jumping squats you can do in that time period with out stopping and maintain a intense pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment